A person’s personality dictates much of what makes someone who they are. A personality is someone’s character, their essence, and controls much of what a person feels, thinks, does, and reflects on. A personality disorder is when someone’s personality causes undue stress and agitation, leading to deviations from social norms and societal expectations.
Living with a personality disorder means more than just feeling off every once in a while. It is marked by consistent distress and behavioral patterns demonstrated over an extended period of time. While the best way to combat personality disorder is through a mental health disorder treatment program, these programs can be hard to find if someone doesn’t know exactly what to look for.
Peer Mental Wellness provides high-quality personality disorder treatment in Los Angeles. Contact us at 714.844.5473 today to learn more.
What Is a Personality Disorder?
There is not just one type of personality disorder. It turns out there are actually quite a few of them. Some of these include:
- Antisocial personality disorder – Consistent disregard for others’ feelings, habitual lying, aggression, lack of remorse, and aggression
- Borderline personality disorder – Marked by impulsive behavior, fragile self-image, unstable relationships, mood swings, aggression, and paranoia
- Narcissistic personality disorder – Demonstrated through the belief that one is special and more important than those around them, arrogance, fantastical exaggerations, inability to recognize the feelings of others, unreasonable expectations of favors or advantages, and envy of others or belief that others envy them
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder – Marked by an intense preoccupation with details, a fixation on perfection and the practice of perfectionism, and persistent intrusive thoughts
Each of these disorders is different and can produce different symptoms. The disorders listed above carry symptoms that most people would see in themselves at least part of the time. This is the defining quality of all personality disorders. These symptoms are not felt every so often but are persistent over long periods and demonstrated through long-term behavioral patterns.
What to Expect in Personality Disorder Treatment
Many forms of personality disorder treatments are offered in and around the Los Angeles area. Because each disorder is markedly different, it’s no surprise that they would require different treatments. Many personality disorder treatments do, however, share the common theme of including, at least in part, therapy. The type of therapy will depend on the specific nature of the patient’s condition, but a few treatments commonly associated with Personality disorders are:
- Psychotherapy – Commonly referred to as talk therapy, psychotherapy is a form of therapy that includes one-on-one sessions between therapists and their clients. These sessions include talking through a patient’s problems and providing them with the coping mechanisms and skills necessary to lead a happy and healthy life.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy – Cognitive-behavioral therapy focuses on delving deep into the patients’ psyche to help patients better understand how unhelpful ways of thinking can lead to destructive and harmful behaviors.
- Dialectical behavior therapy – This form of therapy focuses on acceptance and change. Therapists encourage and push patients to accept the reality behind their personal experiences to help them address and understand their negative behaviors.
- Medication – Medication in the form of anti-depressants and mood stabilizers has had a positive effect in relieving the symptoms of some personality disorders.
Contact Peer Mental Wellness for Personality Disorder Therapy in Los Angeles
It is never a good idea to leave a mental health condition untreated, and it could be argued that this is especially true for those who have a personality disorder. Finding the appropriate personality disorder treatment can be hard, which is why the experienced staff at Peer Mental Wellness are dedicated to helping their clients find the best help possible with ease. When considering personality disorder therapy in Los Angeles, or to find out more information, contact the Peer Mental Wellness Team today at 714.844.5473.