If you’re struggling with your mental health or with co-occurring substance use issues, it can be difficult to find the motivation to change. Recovery takes effort, and when your mental health is telling you that it’s too hard, it can be tough to take the steps necessary for healing. However, there is a therapeutic approach that can help you find the motivation to take those steps: motivational interviewing treatment.
Motivational interviewing (MI) is a client-centered, evidence-based approach that helps individuals discover their own inner motivation for change. It’s often used in the treatment of mental health and substance use disorders, as it supports participants in identifying their own goals and developing strategies to achieve them. This approach is non-judgmental, empathetic, and collaborative, making it an effective tool for supporting recovery.
Peer Mental Wellness offers motivational interviewing treatment in greater Los Angeles as part of our holistic approach to mental health care. Learn more about this mental health therapy and get started with treatment by calling 714.844.5473 today.
What Is Motivational Interviewing?
Motivational Interviewing, or MI, is kind of like having a meaningful heart-to-heart with a trusted friend, except that friend is a trained professional who knows how to guide you toward finding your own reasons for making positive changes. Imagine if you’re feeling stuck in your journey towards recovery, and then someone comes along who doesn’t judge you but, instead, understands your struggles and helps you see your own strengths and aspirations. That’s what motivational interviewing feels like. It’s a conversation that helps you dig deep into your own desires for a healthier and happier life, and then it encourages you to take steps toward that life.
It’s not about being told what to do. Instead, it’s about discovering your own reasons and motivation to change. And because you come up with your own reasons, the changes you make are more likely to stick.
What to Expect in Motivational Interviewing Sessions
In Motivational Interviewing sessions, you can expect a supportive environment that fosters self-exploration and self-understanding. Here’s a brief rundown of what to expect:
- Personalized attention – These sessions are all about you, your experiences, and your future. You’ll work closely with a trained professional who will take the time to understand your unique situation.
- Non-judgmental atmosphere – The MI approach promotes empathy and understanding. You will not be judged for your past decisions or current struggles.
- Open dialogue – Throughout the session, you’ll engage in an open dialogue about your hopes, fears, and potential obstacles, helping you map out a path to recovery.
- Self-determined goals – You’ll identify your own personal goals and devise strategies for achieving them. Your therapist will provide guidance but ultimately, you are the one in control.
- Action planning – Once you’ve identified your reasons for change, you’ll work with your therapist to create an action plan. This plan will outline specific steps you can take towards achieving your goals.
Remember, everyone’s experience with motivational interviewing treatment will differ slightly, as it’s a very personalized approach. However, these general elements are typically included in most MI sessions. This treatment is all about empowering you to take control of your recovery journey.
Ready to Get Started? Call Peer Mental Wellness Today
If you’re in the greater Los Angeles area, Peer Mental Wellness offers this transformative therapy as part of our holistic approach to mental health care. Our team is dedicated to providing personalized attention and non-judgmental support as you work towards your goals.